Thursday, September 9, 2010

Scared, Worried, Lost, Etc.

For those of you that do not know, Kelly had a seizure on Monday, during a BBQ we were having over at my sister Kalie's.

It was by far the scariest moment in my life and it all happened so fast. Kelly followed me into Kalie's spare bedroom to hang out with me while I nursed the girls and shortly after he laid down on the floor, it happened. I couldn't do anything... I couldn't move or reach him unless I wanted to drop the babies. The next thing I knew, I was screaming for help and everyone was running into the room. Mom was able to grab the twins and Erica tried to calm me down. Calming down wasn't happening, so Kalie decided to move me into the living room, but I collapsed in the hallway. All I could hear was my step dad saying that Kelly was bleeding because he bit his tongue and he was trying to swallow it. The actual seizure lasted about 45 seconds but Kelly didn't come around until the paramedics arrived about 10-15 minutes later. He doesn't even remember my step dad or Joe talking to him.

You can't imagine... Seeing a loved one in pain, hurting and you can't help them. I felt so helpless. I can't stop replaying it in my head... But as terrible the situation was, it couldn't have happened at a better time or place. Like I said, he was already on the floor, so he didn't fall. The room was pretty empty so he didn't run into anything or hit anything. Plus we had the entire family there, so there was enough people to tend to him, me and the babies.

The paramedics took Kelly to Emergency by fire truck and they didn't have any room for me. So as I was histerical, Kalie took my car and followed them to IMC. The paramedics took the LONG way to the hospital, so I knew he was okay. They even had him call me on the way there, just to say Hi. When we got there, Kelly had a CT Scan, EKG and blood work done. Everything came back normal. So what did this mean? What happened? They didn't know. They kept us there for awhile and gave Kelly some medication and recommended meeting with a neurologist for follow up. We didn't get home until about 1AM Tuesday morning and the girls ended up staying with my Mother. As much as we missed them and just wanted to be with them, we needed to get some rest, Kelly mostly.

We met with a neurologist this morning and he has ordered an EEG and a MRI for Monday afternoon. Hopefully it will tell us something, but the neurologist isn't optimistic. He says that 99% of the time, we don't know why people have seizures. Great! But what happens now? The neurologist informed us that by state law, Kelly is not allowed to drive a car for 3 months. He is also to avoid heights, swimming and bathing. Obviously this means that working as a bill poster with Reagan is out of the question for the next little while. However, the Dr is optimistic that after the 90 days, if Kelly is seizure free he'll be able to get back to his job and Reagan is holding his position for him. In the mean time, he may see about going back to Ream's, maybe joining the stock crew or something. We also need to decide whether or not to put Kelly on medication. The only thing is, is if you start the medication you have to take it for the rest of your life. Taking it and then stopping could lead to a seizure. The Dr recommends that if the tests on Monday show nothing, we should wait the 90 days and if Kelly doesn't have another seizure than he won't get on the medication. However if he does, he should definitely take some. What? Another seizure? I don't want to see that!

Scared, Worried, Lost, Etc... Thankfully we have an amazing support system at home. THANK YOU FAMILY for always being there for us! I'll keep everyone posted as to his test results and where we go from here. I hope all is well!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I am so sorry to hear about everything that has happened with Kelly, that is so scary! It is very hard to see someone you love in a situation such as that and not be able to do anything, I've been there. I hope all of the tests go well and that you get some answers. We are praying for your family. Love ya!

Rochelle said...

Yes, so very scary! I think everyone can understand your reaction...I would feel the same way! Praying for no seizures the next few months and for life to resume to normal (well, as normal as it gets, right!?). So glad you have family so close. Hugs from Washington. Hang in there!

ScottNLili said...

Hi, you dont know me, but I am friends with Brooke Dykman and thought id check out the fun name on your blog. but reading this post, it sounds really similar to my cousin. I dont know if you would even be interested in having their support, but if it would help to know someone who is going through something similar, im sure they would be glad to hear from you. Their names are Ben and Camille Ballou, and their blog is http://benncam.blogspot.com/
Good luck with everything!
-Lili Earl